Home / Travel  / Myanmar quake topples one building in Bangkok: Investigation into Chinese developer underway.

Myanmar quake topples one building in Bangkok: Investigation into Chinese developer underway.

Bangkok Building Collapse After Myanmar Quake: Chinese Construction Firm Under Scrutiny At least 18 people have been killed after a 33-story under-construction building collapsed in Bangkok on Friday following a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck neighboring

Bangkok Building Collapse After Myanmar Quake: Chinese Construction Firm Under Scrutiny

At least 18 people have been killed after a 33-story under-construction building collapsed in Bangkok on Friday following a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck neighboring Myanmar. In addition to the fatalities, 33 people have been injured, and 78 remain missing in Bangkok.

A Devastating Quake

The Myanmar earthquake—one of the most severe in the region’s history—has resulted in over 1,700 deaths so far. In Bangkok, most of the casualties were construction workers at the collapse site, where several people are believed to be trapped under massive debris, according to an AFP report.

What stands out is that, despite Bangkok being home to numerous skyscrapers, no other buildings sustained comparable damage, raising serious questions about the construction quality and the companies behind the project. A Chinese construction firm involved in the project is now facing scrutiny, with Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul ordering an urgent investigation.

Who Built the Collapsed Bangkok Skyscraper?

According to The Telegraph UK, the collapsed building was part of Thailand’s State Audit Office and had been under construction for three years, with an estimated cost of over 2 billion Thai baht (around $58 million).

The project was a joint venture between Italian-Thai Development Plc and China Railway Number 10 (Thailand) Ltd. Local media reports indicate that China Railway Number 10 (Thailand) Ltd. is 49% owned by China Railway Number 10 Engineering Group Company, the maximum stake a foreign entity can hold in a Thai company under Thai law.

China Railway Number 10 Thailand, established on August 10, 2018, operates as a contractor for office buildings, residential projects, railways, and public infrastructure, with a registered capital of 100 million baht. However, the company has struggled financially. In 2023, it reported a net loss of 199.66 million baht, despite generating 206.25 million baht in revenue and incurring 354.95 billion baht in expenses, according to The Nation Thailand.

The company also has three Thai shareholders:

  • Sophon Meechai – 40.80% (second-largest shareholder)
  • Prachuab Sirikhet – 10.20%
  • Manas Sri-anant – Owns just three shares

Investigation Underway

Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul announced an official investigation into the collapse on Saturday, demanding a report within a week.

“I’m appointing the investigating committee. I’ve given them seven days to report back on what’s going on and what caused the collapse,” he told The Telegraph UK.

Prof. Suchatchavee Suwansawas, a civil engineer and politician from Thailand’s Democrat Party, also expressed serious concerns:
“You see all other buildings—even high-rise ones under construction—are safe. So either the design was flawed or the construction was faulty, but it’s too soon to conclude,” he said.

As authorities dig deeper, the collapse raises broader concerns about construction standards, regulatory oversight, and foreign involvement in Thailand’s infrastructure projects.

admin@thenewindians.com

Review overview
NO COMMENTS

POST A COMMENT