Home / Politics  / Greece’s Santorini Welcomes First Cruise Ship as Tourism Resumes Post-Earthquakes

Greece’s Santorini Welcomes First Cruise Ship as Tourism Resumes Post-Earthquakes

Santorini Reopens to Tourists as First Cruise Ship Arrives After Earthquakes Greece’s jewel of tourism, Santorini, welcomed its first cruise ship of the year on Sunday, marking a hopeful step toward recovery after a series of

Santorini Reopens to Tourists as First Cruise Ship Arrives After Earthquakes

Greece’s jewel of tourism, Santorini, welcomed its first cruise ship of the year on Sunday, marking a hopeful step toward recovery after a series of earthquakes in February triggered a state of emergency, forced thousands to evacuate, and left locals fearing for the tourist season.

Every year, millions of travelers visit Santorini to stroll its whitewashed streets and witness its world-famous sunsets, but unprecedented seismic activity—even for earthquake-prone Greece—led authorities to close schools, suspend construction, and send in emergency teams.

Celestyal Discovery Brings First Tourists Back to Santorini

On Sunday morning, the Celestyal Discovery docked in Santorini’s stunning Aegean waters, carrying 1,700 passengers, mostly from the United States. The cruise line had removed Santorini from its itinerary earlier this month, but the island’s reopening has brought a renewed sense of optimism.

“It’s exciting to know the island is open again, and we’re among the first to visit,” said 67-year-old Deborah Terry.

Another passenger, Julie Eberly, expressed confidence in the island’s safety:

“We trust the tourism board. If they say it’s safe, we’re here with open arms.”

Santorini Locals Hope for a Full Recovery

With a population of around 20,000, Santorini’s economy depends almost entirely on tourism, welcoming around 2.5 million visitors annually. The island, shaped by one of history’s most powerful volcanic eruptions (1600 BC), has weathered natural disasters before—but local businesses are eager for a strong comeback.

“We all hope things will return to normal, that visitors will keep coming,” said shop owner Tassos Kontos. “The dark cloud seems to be lifting.”

While no major damage was reported from the recent earthquakes, authorities have announced plans to build an evacuation port to ensure a safe exit in case of future tremors.

With tourists returning and cruise ships resuming visits, Santorini is hoping to leave the seismic fears behind and embrace a thriving tourist season ahead.

admin@thenewindians.com

Review overview
NO COMMENTS

POST A COMMENT